Caramelized Onion Hummus
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
I love making different variations of Hummus! I also really love caramelized onions! I thought it would be a great idea to put them both together for a delicious Hummus treat! Turned out that I was right – this is amazing! This Hummus tastes great with grilled pita bread.
- 2 large red onions coarsely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ teas salt
- ½ teas black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 15.5 oz can of chick peas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 T olive oil
- On medium-high heat in frying pan, sauté olive oil, onions, salt and pepper for 5 minutes (make sure you stir so the onions don’t burn).
- Reduce to medium and sauté for 10 more minutes (stirring occasionally – every few minutes).
- Add wine and reduce for 5 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Reduce to low and let it continue to caramelize for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- When onions are done, then add the onions and all ingredients to blender or food processor. (Vitamix makes the perfect Hummus!)
I find that Hummus is best served at room temperature. After you keep it in the refrigerator for a while, take hour about a half hour before you want to eat it. Or if you can wait that long, you can pop it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds.