One Pot – Mexican Fajita Quinoa Soup
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
One pot meals are great for Meatless Mondays! You only need to use one pot and it makes a lot for lunches and leftovers throughout the week! I was really in the mood for fajitas or something that tasted similar, so I tried using fajita flavors within this quinoa soup. This totally ended up fulfilling this craving – it was so tasty! You can also have fun with toppings! I recommend fresh cilantro, a little cheese and sour cream. You can also put a few tortilla chips on top too.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ teas salt
- ½ teas black pepper
- ½ teas oregano
- ½ teas parsley
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 teas cumin
- A few splashes of hot sauce (Franks)
- ½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 15.5 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Juice of a lime
- Optional toppings: cheddar or jack cheese (shredded), cilantro, sour cream, Greek yogurt, lime, tortilla chips, etc.
- Over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or pot, with the olive oil, sauté onions, peppers, carrots, celery for 8 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, oregano, parsley, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, stir, cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, add quinoa, juice of 1 of the limes and beans, stir, cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add juice of the other lime and stir.
- Top with optional toppings if desired.