Crispy Roasted White Sweet Potatoes and Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
This is a vegan salad recipe is full of flavor! When I was visiting my sister at the Jersey Shore, we went to the Brigantine Farmers market on Saturday morning and I picked up some Jersey fresh sweet potatoes and tomatoes. I used these ingredients to make this delicious salad. The sweet potatoes come out crispy and are complimented by the tahini dressing and kale.
Sweet Potato Ingredients:
- 1 medium white sweet potato peeled and cut into small cubes (should be 1 ½ cups)
- 2 T olive oil
- ¼ teas salt
- ¾ teas cumin
- ¾ teas turmeric
- ½ teas crushed red peppers*
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Cooking spray
Tahini Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 cloves garlic
- Handful of cilantro leaves (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cuo tahini (sesame paste)
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- ¾ teas cumin
- ½ teas salt
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 2 T finely chopped red onions
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green parts)
Sweet Potato Directions:
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a medium/large bowl, combine olive oil, sweet potatoes, and garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, cumin, turmeric, and crushed red peppers.
- Then sprinkle contents of small bowl to sweet potato mixture bowl and combine.
- On a baking sprayed with cooking spray, spread out the sweet potatoes.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes (taking it out halfway through to toss).
Tahini Dressing Directions:
- In a food processor, chop garlic and cilantro.
- Then add all remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add about 4 T of the Tahini Dressing and combine.
- Divide salad evenly across 2 bowls.
- Place ½ cup of roasted sweet potatoes on top of each.
- Drizzle a little more of the dressing on top of the sweet potatoes.
While the sweet potatoes cook, you can do the tahini dressing and prep the salad.
You will have about ½ cup of sweet potatoes and some dressing left over – this is a great little snack for later (dip the sweet potatoes in the dressing).
If you do not like spicy, you can reduce or omit the crushed red peppers.
Continue Reading →